Policy Policy Statement: International Students
International Students bring a diversity and richness to the school’s culture that will enhance the school experience of all students.
- To provide an appropriate International Student Programme.
- To establish and document enrolment procedures and a fee structure.
- To establish and document policies, procedures and regulations to create a supportive and safe environment for all parents and students.
- To meet the requirements of the Code of Practice for Pastoral Care of International Students.
- Pasadena Intermediate School will accept International Students for enrolment.
- Enrolments of individual International Students will be for a minimum of one semester. Enrolments of groups of students will be for a minimum of ten days.
- Pasadena Intermediate School may pay fees to recruiting agents who secure International Student enrolments on behalf of the Board of Trustees.
- Enrolments will not exceed 15% of the current school roll; will not preclude any entitled New Zealand resident from enrolment; will not cause overcrowding at the school and will be at the discretion of the Principal.
- All applicants for enrolment must establish with documentation, that they meet New Zealand Immigration requirements.
- All International Students accepted for enrolment must either -
- reside at the same address in New Zealand with at least one of their parents during the entire duration of their enrolment; or
- reside at the same address in New Zealand with the guardian, that has been appointed and notified in writing, by their parents, during the entire duration of their enrolment; and the guardian’s homestay accommodation has been approved, accredited, vetted and monitored by Pasadena Intermediate School or its appointed representative, and have completed and signed an INDEMNITY AGREEMENT, FOR STUDENT LIVING WITH A DESIGNATED CAREGIVER.
- The school reserves the right to terminate the enrolment, if the above requirement is not met.
- A fee will be determined annually by the Board of Trustees.
For enrolments of a year or more, the fee is payable a semester in advance. The first semester consists of school terms 1 and 2, and the second terms 3 and 4. For enrolments of less than a year, the fee is payable in advance.
The fee includes:
- All costs for normal school programmes including Specialist Courses, Materials and Services; Programme Activities; Photocopying; Stationery.
- All costs for Camp/Outdoor Education Week.
- All transport and entrance costs for art, cultural and sport representation.
- Entry fees for external examinations or testing programmes, administered by the school.
- Text-books loaned to the International Student.
- New Zealand Government Goods and Services Tax.
- New Zealand Ministry of Education International Student Fee.
The fee does not include:
- School uniform.
- Charges for losses or damages to school resources and property.
- A fee refund will only be considered in exceptional circumstances -
- Family bereavement, compassionate or other family circumstances
- Other specific circumstances at the discretion of the Board of Trustees.
- Any fee refund made, will be less direct and indirect costs and committed expenditure as deemed by the school.
Application for a fee refund must be made in writing to the Board of Trustees.
A fee refund will not be considered on the grounds of the student gaining New Zealand residency during the semester for which payment has been made.
A fee refund will not be considered if an enrolment is terminated as in (5.) above
The conditions and procedures by which refunds will be considered and made will be available to parents of international students.
- Any net income generated from International Students’ Fees, will be applied at the discretion of the Board of Trustees, to benefit all students.
- International Students and their parents will be subject to all school Policies, Procedures and Regulations.
- The International Student’s Programme will be the same as that offered New Zealand Resident students, including participation in the Enhanced Curriculum Programme and access to appropriate Learning Support Programmes and support services.
- Ministry of Education best practice guidelines for accommodation of and for pastoral care of International Students, will form the basis of school policies, procedures and regulations for International Students.
31 / 03 / 2009